Saturday, April 22, 2006

Chapter 4

We scan the entrance hall: it's clear. To our left, there is a control room, its blood-spattered door dented and hanging precariously from the frame. Yoko walks toward the door while I cover her back: another sucker staggers in the hall from the corridor on the other side, and I smoke her with a burst to the chest - then walk my fire to her head. She drops down, and she'd better not to revive again.

"Got two!" Yoko says, and the strangely muffled roar of the MG-12 fills the room for a second, then it's over. "Two more down", she confirms.
We quickly inspect the room, and it's clear as well. So we move on.

I hook into the surveillance network again: there are three more rooms opening on the corridor, and a dark glass door at the end. The lateral rooms are all clear, except one with a zombie sitting on chair. Why in hell a zobie should take a rest I don't know, but I do not stop to ask questions, and blow his friggin' brains.

"It's going nice and smooth, I love this!" I tell Yoko.
"If it lasts", she replies.

And indeed, it doesn't fucking last: the surveillance network goes down, sparks back to life and crashes completely. Shit, fucking hell.
"Bondi, what the hell is going on?" I almost shout.
"We lost the backup transmitter. The zombies smashed it", he replays in dismay.
Fucking great. Now we also have smart fuckers.
"It seems we have to do this the hard way", I inform Yoko.
"Copied. There were two hostiles in the corridor behind this door".
"Right: we'll go in and fire at will"

I slam the door open and sprint to the right; Yoko follows immediately and takes position to the left hand side. Our coordinated targeting systems assigns one target to me and one to her, but we saturate the corridor with fire anyway. The two suckers go down, but then another one pops up from behind a cabinet, a meter in front of me. My magazine is empty, fuck it. So the zombie grabs my rifle and pulls. I won't let go, but can't fire a grenade so close. For a few couple of seconds, we struggle like complete idiots.
"Need help?", Yoko asks.
"I can deal with it", I reply. But I'd better do something. I let go my right hand to grab the Desert Eagle - and that bastard is strong: the rifle slips from my hand; the zombie staggers back; its feet get tangled and it falls backwards. It's like a demential comedy, for fuck's sake. Then I see a blur of motion, and the zombie stops writhing. After that, I see Yoko slipping her sword back into its sheat.
"Thanks"
"You're welcome"
When I go to take my rifle, I see the zombie's head has been neatly severed. And I realize only now that our saturation fire has made quite a mess of the corridor. Nevermind. There are two big open floor offices, one on each side: unless the suckers crouch down between the desks, they don't have many places where to hide. If the goddamned fate doesn't decide to shaft us again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home