Monday, November 28, 2005

Chapter 3

"Here I marked the locations of the... er, security cameras, and the possible exits..." says the boy - while his ears turn almost glowing red.
"Good" I reply, while Yoko scans the drawing intently: she's memorizing it.
Bondi is almost seething. He can stuff it; if he's a moron it's not my problem.
Bahir goes on:
"I think we have twenty-five zombies, and all of them pretty... er, fresh", and he takes the look of someone who just told bullshit.
"Fresh" I echo him grinning, and then "I don't really wanna know what shit turned them into zombies - but is there something else we should know? Will they go down for good if we pump two bullets in their fucking heads?"
Murphy speaks up:
"To the best of our knowledge, there should be no bad surprises."
"If there is any, we'll pull out the thermo-fucking-baric grenades, and go Mongol on their asses, understood?". Ok, I admit I'm a bit overplaying the part of the hard-as-nails merc here. But can't I have a bit of fun?
The lad in the shadow looks imperceptibly amused.

"Mr Bondi, can oyu patch us into the surveillance system?" asks Yoko, very neutral.
"We use a standard VT-3 broadcast ring for our security men; I suppose you have that in your gear" he replies sharply.
"Sure we do. Encrypted?"
"Yes"
"I gather we need the decryption key, then"
Bondi shots a glance first at the mystery chap, who does nothing; then to Murphy who nods instead. So Bondi opens a small safe with a fingerprint lock, and hands Yoko two H-BUS sticks.
"Here you are, the keys. Our voice comms are on channel 17, band Y."
"Thanks, sir" ends Yoko fully earnest. She's a good girl her after all - just stay out of her target list.
"So we have the battle plan: we go in and blast the motherfuckers. You keep your eyes well open and smoke any zombie that may eventually make it out. Got it?"
Murphy mutters a "Yes"; Bahir just nods and Bondi replies with a clear "Affirmative".
The Man in Black barely moves a muscle.

So I and Yoko head out in the heavy sleet to take the guns: I have an M8 with 25mm grenade launcher, plenty of magazines and grenades - and the sidearm to fucking impress: a replica of Desert Eagle .500, black with gold parts. Yoko says that's the tackiest gun she's ever seen. She'll use the MG-12, her katana and a discretely efficient .40 semiauto.

I load the water and nutrient an medical packs in my suit, then don the helmet and switch all the systems online; Yoko dons her too but she's got integrated comms and sensors in her own body. Our deeply encripted low-intensity communication channel comes online too, and she comments:
"Nice bunch of folks we have. The man in the black suit had dealings with the Space Navy"
"Ah, fuck me. He knows about you then?"
"Definitely. But I don't think it is a problem"
"If you say so. Now let's go to work!"
I had my contacts with the Space Navy - the whole Freezer Raid affair, and Yoko's dark past - that she decide not to know, and I think it's much friggin' better like this. Anyway, the Spacers are the sort of force you want to cover your ass. But while we Mountain Hunters can be nasty bastards, the Spacers are downright scary. I mean, for them the fun begins with megaton-fucking-class nukes, bloody hell.

We pass in front of our merry hosts, and finally the Darkman speaks:
"Our miss here is pretty damn strong for a lady..."
"Fuck off" I think.
"Not funny at all" Yoko informs me on out private channel. We trudge on without even caring to wave.
We stop in front of the armored main door, and hook into the surveillance feed. Some cameras and sensors have been disabled, but we have good coverage: we can see a few zombies loitering. I notice there's a friggin' bunch of them just behind the main door, so I think we should enter with a bang.
"I'll shoot a grenade in as soon as the door opens" I inform Yoko.
"Copy that"
I take position a few meters back, with Yoko at the side of the door, ready to spring into action. I set the fuzing for the granade launcher on Proximity, and then on the open channel:
"Bondi, open the door and let's rock!"
The door slids rapidly open; the zombies barely have the time to turn around that I pull the trigger. And the grenade detonates smack in the middle of the bunch. When we walk in, we find that most of the fuckers now is sticking to the walls as mince meat. It'd be a most repellent experience, if we weren't seasoned badasses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home